Wednesday, June 24, 2009

Is Starbucks making you fat?

How ironic that I'm writing an email inquiring if Starbucks is making you fat, when I was just there with a couple of friends! Haha!

What do you think my drink of choice was? Well...I'll save it for the end of this email. Don't cheat and scroll down just to find out. That's not fair. ; )

I guess the economy hasn't effected the Starbucks business because they always seem to be packed. And do you want to know what I saw on the shelf of food?

Butter Croissant - 310 calories
Apple Fritter - 420 calories
Blueberry Muffin - 350 calories
No Sugar Added Banana Nut Coffee Cake - 470 calories

And the list goes on and on. These are calorie counts for a whole meal for the majority of us! Oh wait, let me back up a second. So let's say you grabbed a No Sugar Added Banana Nut Coffee Cake because you think it's healthy, right? I mean there's no sugar added and it has bananas and nuts in it, right? How bad can it be? Well, let's say you take that same coffee cake and pair it with your average Grande Peppermint White Chocolate Mocha with 2% milk and no whip cream. Guess what? That drink has 470 calories! So now along with the banana nut coffee cake, we're up to 940 calories. What if we took that same drink, made it a Venti used whole milk and added whip cream-now, your drink is 700 calories!! So what started out as an innocent piece of banana nut coffee cake and a cup of "coffee" may be setting you back 1170 calories or more. So what's the point here? I guess what I'm trying to say is that you need to be more aware. Many of my clients claim they are eating "pretty healthy" but are they? Maybe you can relate to this. But, on a positive note, at least Starbucks has started serving oatmeal although I recommend you find the nutritional information before you order it! (and on everything else you may be ordering from Starbucks or any other food vendor!) Or better yet...fix your own food at home and drink a cup of your own brewed coffee or green tea! And beware of 'no sugar added' items! Read the fine print...

You can check out the calorie count in your favorite Starbucks drink at "http://www.starbucks.com/retail/nutrition_beverages.asp" or other Starbuck 'treats' at "http://www.calorieking.com/foods/search/Starbucks"!

I bet you think I forgot to tell you about my drink of choice at Starbucks. It was a Venti Green Tea Latte with non fat milk for 260 calories, the amount I usually eat for my snacks.

No comments:

Post a Comment